PROJECT EDITORS

Yvonne Dalluge
Kathleen Jacobitz
Marcia Borcher
Sandi Corbitt-Sears
Dick Taylor


Tip's Branch - Tipps Branch

Post office established April 20, 1868. Name was changed to Burchard January 31, 1882. Named for the creek on which it was located. Tipps Branch never reached the status of a village, but it had the distinction of being the first story and post office to be established in Plum Creek precinct.

It was names after the tributary of the Plum Creek, which drained the area. It started about 1870 and was located 2-1/2 miles south and 2 miles west of Burchard in section 27. A family by the name of Wilson McClintock owned the NE and SE quarters of section 27. They lived in a two-story frame house in the northeast corner of the section. In one room they operated the store and post office. The mail was carried overland from Table Rock, then on to Mission Creek and Fairbury by riders on buckskin ponies. Before this, settlers had to go to Pawnee City for their mail.

After operating for a number of years, the McClintocks decided to quit the store and the post office was moved to a home in section 25, owned by a Dusenberry family. The kept it open until Burchard came into existence and it was moved there.

From History of Plum Creek by Mrs. Dollie Devor, October 2, 1942. Information collected by Mrs. Jeanette Miller Ulmer. First location in 1868 was Section 27-2-9; moved to Section 25-2-9.

 


Pawnee County Communities in Existence after 1854:

Appleton

Pleasant Valley

Armour

Scott's Valley

Bookwalter Shafferville
Cincinnati Tate
Koesterville

Tipp's Branch

Mayberry Violet
North Summerfield  

We welcome information and pictures about this historic town.
Contact the Webmaster with any contributions.

~ RETURN TO PAWNEE COUNTY TOWNS PAGE ~


Copyright 2008 Pawnee County History

Site designed and maintained by Three View Design